The Midnight Charity Project focuses the generosity of RPG hobby enthusiasts as a force for bringing hope to those in need. This project uses a variety of RPG-related fundraising activities throughout the month of December to bring awareness to a worthy cause.
The 2008/ Charity Project
The project for 2008 directly benefits the Autism Research Institute. Autism is unfortunately becoming more and more common. In the mid 1970s it only struck about 1 in 2,000 births. Today the incidence of babies being born autistic has been reported at 1 in every 150 kids. For more information about Autism and the Autism Research Institute, visit Autism.com. You can also objectively check out the Autism Research Institute’s rating as a charity by visiting their profile in Charity Navigator. Throughout the month of December, 12 to Midnight will be posting a series of articles about Autism on our front page.
Ways You Can Give
RPG fans have several ways to contribute to the Midnight Charity Project.
- Die in Pinebox: (auction closed) 12 to Midnight is auctioning off an official City of Pinebox death certificate. The unframed certificate with the winner’s name (or the name of a favorite RPG character) makes a great, unique gaming memento. We will auction off one certificate, with the auction ending in time for delivery for Christmas! (Auction runs December 1st-10th). UPDATE: We have a winner! The winning bid was $41, which all goes to ARI.
- Autographed Last Rites of the Black Guard: 12 to Midnight is auctioning off a print copy of their modern horror adventure, Last Rites of the Black Guard, signed and personalized by the author, Ed Wetterman. This Savage Worlds adventure was originally published as an e-book in 2003 and will hit game stores in an all-new updated and revised print edition in March of 2009. Get your autographed copy as soon as it comes off the press! (Auction runs December 12th-22nd.)
- Buy Preston’s Midnight Tales: Preston’s Midnight Tales is a collection of two adventure outlines originally published for the d20 System and now being released for Savage Worlds. For the month of December, all profits from the sale of this new release will go to the Midnight Charity Project.
- Buy the Bards & Sages Coupon Book: Fellow RPG publisher Bards & Sages is generously offering to donate the profits from a special coupon book created just for the charity project. Enjoy almost $30 in RPG pdf coupons, plus material you can drop into your campaign. Check out the coupon book at RPGNow.
- Buy PDFs of any Pinebox, Military Horror, or Game Aid from 12 to Midnight. The authors of those titles are donating 100% of their December royalties to the Midnight Charity Project.
- Donate Directly: If the auctions are out of your price range and you already own all of 12 to Midnight’s titles (but don’t forget about your Christmas list), you can always donate directly to the Autism Research Institute. We won’t mind. Our goal is to help a worthy cause. (Year ’round!)